May 2011 is…Posted: 2011/05/02
- To Sir with Love by Edward Ricardo Braithwaite ~ in honor of National Teacher Day (May 3rd)
- Out of Control by Suzanne Brockmann ~ in honor of Brockmann’s birth month
- A Child’s Life and Other Stories by Phoebe Gloeckner ~ in honor of graphic novel month
- Antigone the play by Sophocles ~ in honor of May being the best time to visit Greece.
- Fifth Chinese Daughter by Jade Snow Wong ~ in honor Asian-American Heritage month
- Catfish and Mandala by Andrew X. Pham ~ in honor of Memorial Day
- Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery ~ in honor of Eeyore’s birth month (I’ll explain that connection within the review). I’m listening to this as a training book.
- House on the Lagoon by Rosario Ferre ~ in honor of May 5th being Cinco de Mayo
- City of Light ~ by Lauren Belfer ~ in honor of May being History Month
Lastly, for the Early Review program for LibraryThing – Art and Madness by Anne Roiphe.
I put so many books on my list because a) a few of them are really, really short so I know I can read I can read them in 1-2 days time and b) I don’t have plans to travel anywhere until May 20th so I should have more time to curl up with several good books, and c) AFTER the walk I have ten days of NOTHING to do. I am picturing myself on the back deck, a glass of wine in one hand and a good book in another.
Confession – Catfish and Mandala by Andrew X. Pham looked so good I started reading it on April 28th. Sue me.
May is also (finally) the Just ‘Cause walk. I am not confident I did everything to train (but then again, there is only so much walking one can do), and I know I didn’t fund raise as hard as I should/could have. I am $100 off from the amount I raised last year. I am guessing not asking aunts, uncles, cousins, (mother), grandparents….anyone from my mother’s side to donate played a big part. C’est la vie. Or, to quote mom, “whatever.”